September 09, 2017
Hurricane Irma Update #6
Today the Town participated in a conference call with Charleston County Emergency Management Department and regional counterparts to discuss Hurricane Irma.
County emergency agencies anticipate the heaviest impacts to Kiawah for Monday morning. Kiawah is expected to receive heavy rainfall (4-6”), storm surge (4-6 ft.), sustained wind speeds of 35-40 mph with wind gusts up to 50 mph as well as possible tornado threats. The most significant concern is the storm surge combined with high tide.
The possibility of localized flooding is highly likely on Kiawah Island Parkway between Freshfields and the main gate, Kiawah Island Parkway near the Fire Station, Governors Drive at Turtle Point maintenance and Governors Drive at Trumpet Creeper. Please limit your travel in these areas. Be aware there are already strong rip currents and high surf along the Atlantic Ocean. As always with severe weather, power outages could occur.
The Town and Community Association are making preparations to respond in whatever capacity the event demands. We will continue to communicate necessary storm information to our residents.
You can expect the next update tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. If there is breaking news we will release that information before our scheduled communication.
- Town and KICA offices are closed through Tuesday. The Main Security gate is staffed and will remain in operation unless conditions become dangerous.
- Berkeley Electric does not anticipate cutting power to the island, however if conditions require we will notify you as soon as possible.
- Kiawah Island Utility does not anticipate interruptions in water service however they have asked if there are power outages please limit flushing until the power has resumed. If you have questions, please contact KIU at 843-768-0641
- The Island is closed for commercial access with exceptions made for those assisting with storm preparations.
- Ponds and lakes are at max drainage in anticipation of heavy rain and potential flooding.
- The Charleston County landfill is not accessible to commercial drop-offs; therefore, trash collection has been suspended until Tuesday. Please bring trash receptacles in from the street. It is anticipated trash collection will resume Tuesday. Updates to come.
- The nearest sandbag distribution center is James Island at James Island Youth Soccer Field located on 871 Fort Johnson Road open dusk till dawn) or Dock Street Park 1433 Patterson Avenue (open dusk till dawn).
- The Sandcastle is closed until further notice. All regularly scheduled classes & meetings are canceled. Also, all water will be turned off to boardwalks & fountains.
- Beachwalker County Park is closed until September 12th
- The Station is closed until Tuesday. Residents will still have access to gas pumps with credit card access as long as there is power.
- For information on Freshfields Village tenant hours/closures click here
- Kiawah Island is in a flood zone. Please review this notice regarding cleanup of damaged structures within in a flood plain area.