March 16, 2020
Coronavirus / COVID – 19 Update #3
As seen in the news over the weekend, there has been an increase in the number of cases in South Carolina and more cases are expected.
Given the nature of this rapidly evolving situation, it is important to remember that our first line of defense against potential impact is for everyone to follow the recommended prevention hygiene practices and follow social distancing guidelines.
Current data shows, older adults who have severe underlying chronic medical conditions (heart or lung disease or diabetes) are at higher risk for developing severe complications from COVID-19.Individuals that fall into this group should contact their healthcare provider early, even if they are experiencing mild symptoms.
The Town is modifying operations and taking the following precautionary measures:
- All Town committee meetings scheduled for March are canceled.
- Essential services and Town staff will remain available.
- Garbage and recycling collection will operate on a normal schedule. However, this is subject to any closure at the Charleston County Bee’s Ferry Landfill site.
- All Arts and Cultural Events are canceled for the remainder of the season, which ends in June.The Kiawah Shorebird Stewardship Program kickoff meetings have been postponed.
- Rental companies have been encouraged to increase cleaning and disinfectant practices using the recommended disinfectant products.
Tomorrow (Tuesday, March 17) the Kiawah Emergency Management Committee, which includes representatives from each island entity, is meeting to discuss additional actions to respond accordingly to this evolving pandemic.
Residents can expect daily communication from the Town by 4 p.m. All updates will be posted on www.kiawahisland.org/latestnews