March 24, 2020
COVID-19 Update #9
Updates from the Tri-County conference call with the Charleston County Emergency Management Department and the Kiawah Island Emergency Management Committee:
The number of cases in South Carolina has increased, and more cases are expected. Thirty-one (31) cases have been confirmed in Charleston County.
Kiawah Town Council will meet to hold a special call meeting tomorrow (Wed. March 25) at 9 a.m. regarding the impact of COVID-19 and to discuss a proposal to place a moratorium on newshort-term rental reservations with an arrival date between March 25 – April 15, 2020.
The public can
- Submit questions in advance through Wed. March 25 at 8 a.m. by clicking here. Questions will be consolidated to avoid duplication.
- Virtually attend the meeting by watching the live stream on our YouTube channel by clicking here.
The Town continues to stress the importance of following guidance from local public health experts to slow the spread of COVID-19. Our best defense is to follow the recommended personal hygiene and social distancing guidelines urged by DHEC and CDC.
- Kiawah Island Beach Patrol is monitoring the beach and regulating the public congregation guidelines as well as enforcing all Town ordinances. Sheriff’s Office Deputies and Code Enforcement are present on the island and are regulating the public congregation guidelines as well as enforcing all Town ordinances. Violators will be ticketed.
- Anyone experiencing problems with rental properties or ordinance violations can report them to the 24-hour hotline at 843-259-2137 or through the online submittal form.
- Beachwalker County Park is closed until further notice.
- Harris Teeter is offering senior hours for individuals 60 years and older every Monday and Thursday from 6 a.m.– 7 a.m. Senior discounts will only be applied on Thursday, as usual. Patrons should designate one person in your party to grocery shop alone to help limit the number of shoppers in the store. Current hours of operation are from 7 a.m. – 8 p.m. daily.
- The Kiawah Island Golf Resort and Kiawah Partners have made changes to their operations. KIGR temporarily closed all operations at The Sanctuary (indoor and outdoor pools, beach access, spa) with plans to reopen on April 6. KP temporarily closed the pools and pool decks at The Beach Club, The Marsh House, and The Sports Pavilion.
- Municipal Center lobby hours have been suspended. Staff remains available during regular business hours Monday – Friday (8 a.m.-5 p.m.) but operations will largely be conducted virtually. Phones will be monitored, and calls will be transferred to staff that are working remotely. More information
- Kiawah Island Utility’s office is closed to walk-in traffic. Staff is operating on flex scheduling.
- Freshfields Village merchant and restaurant operations will be updated here.
- The Charleston County Citizens Information Line is operational from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. 843–746–3900.
- The Coastal Crisis Chaplaincy is available at 843-724-1212. Residents can call their 24-hour answering service to arrange to speak to the Chaplain on duty.
- FEMA has set up a website for Coronavirus Rumor Control and it is available here.
Residents can expect the next communication tomorrow by 5 p.m.If there is breaking news, we will release that information before our scheduled communication.
Dining and Grocery Delivery
Information on local restaurants offering delivery, curbside pickup, or grocery delivery service is available here.
Current data shows, older adults who have severe underlying chronic medical conditions (heart or lung disease or diabetes) are at higher risk for developing serious complications from COVID-19.
Individuals that fall into this group should contact their healthcare provider early, even if they are experiencing mild symptoms.