Town Emergency Operations
The National Weather Service in Charleston will identify all storms which present a real or potential danger to the area and will alert the Charleston County Emergency Management Division (EMD). The EMD will then alert all local jurisdictions, including the Town of Kiawah Island.
Town officials will then alert the Kiawah Island Community Association (KICA), Kiawah Island Golf Resort (KIGR) Kiawah Partners (KP) and all others who will be integral to preserving the safety of island residents and visitors.
The Town’s Municipal Emergency Operations Center (MEOC) will be set up at Town Hall to coordinate storm related activities and to answer inquiries from residents, visitors, and commercial interests.
It will be staffed until the alert is over or evacuation is underway. Information will be disseminated via our website, email notifications, CodeRED and social media.
The Charleston County Emergency Management Division and Town of Kiawah Island operate under alert levels called Operational Conditions (OPCONs), during hurricane season. The OPCONs will be used here to provide a general timetable/framework for you to use in preparing for a natural disaster and evacuation.
OPCON 3 – Normal Operations/Ready State
- Day to Day Operations.
- All storms and significant incidents are tracked and monitored.
- Routine watch and warning activities.
- Coordinate and conduct prevention and preparedness activities.
OPCON 2 Disaster or emergency situation likely or imminent
- Partial or Full activation of the Charleston County Emergency Operations Center.
- Implementation of the Charleston County Emergency Operations Plan
OPCON 1 Disaster or Emergency Situation in Effect
- Disaster or emergency situation in effect; full-fledged emergency response operations on-going; highest state of emergency operations.
Charleston Regional Hazard Mitigation Plan