August 27, 2020
Emergency Ordinance 2020-09
Yesterday, Town Council passed Emergency Ordinance 2020-09, which extends existing requirements including face coverings and other emergency restrictions to address COVID-19 until October 25. A summary of the requirements is provided below.
- Required for all persons, including employees, entering or waiting to enter any restaurant (including persons waiting to pick up a carryout order), business, club, or association facility at all times
- Exceptions, such as those for health, age and activity are listed in the Ordinance
- Businesses and restaurants are responsible for enforcing this Emergency Ordinance with regard only to their employees and conspicuously posting the information for guests and employees
Additional Emergency Restrictions:
The Town adopts all Emergency Orders as amended issued by the State of South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster related to the coronavirus, including Governor McMaster’s Executive Order No. 2020-50.
All restaurants and other establishments that possess a state permit to sell alcohol must comply with the Governor’s Executive Order 2020-50 which enacts the following mandatory restrictions:
- The sale or consumption of beer, wine, or alcoholic liquor is prohibited between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 10:00 a.m. (sale for off-premises consumption is not covered by this restriction);
- Operating dine-in services at no more than 50% of their occupancy limit;
- Employees and patrons must wear masks or face coverings; and tables must be spaced to keep diners at least six feet apart;
- No more than eight customers per table unless from the same family; and
- Standing or congregating in bar areas is prohibited.
Other types of businesses, facilities, venues, events or mass gatherings are permitted to open but are required to implement AccelerateSC guidelines which include:
- Attendance may not exceed 50% of their occupancy limit – or 250 persons – whichever is less;
- Require wearing face coverings as a condition of admission or participation;
- Enact social distancing, cleaning and hygiene practices recommended by AccelerateSC; and
- End the sale of alcohol at 11:00 p.m.
All essential businesses originally covered by the Governor’s Executive Order No. 2020-21, Section 1(I) must comply with occupancy rate, social distancing practices, and sanitations requirements included in the Governor’s Executive Order No. 2020-21, Section 1(I), which includes the following restrictions
- Limit the number of customers not to exceed five customers per 1,000 square feet of retail space or twenty percent (20%) of the occupancy limit as determined by the fire marshal, whichever is less.
- Limit customers to a single person per family or group at a time except for shoppers with small children when no other adult is present and persons that medically require assistance
- Not allow patrons to congregate within six (6) feet of one another, exclusive of family units.
- Comply with sanitation guidelines promulgated by the CDC, DHEC, or any other state or federal public health officials.
The Emergency Ordinance is available in its entirety here.