September 02, 2019
Hurricane Dorian Update #4
The Governor has issued an evacuation order that begins today at noon; however, island access will not be restricted until Wednesday at 6 a.m. (which is subject to change), at which time island access will be turned over to Charleston County Sheriff’s Office.
The evacuation order does not mean property owners will be required to leave their property; however, the Town strongly encourages residents to comply. Residents should be securing their property and making their evacuation plans. Contractors will be permitted on island to assist homeowners with hurricane preparation until 7 p.m. on Tuesday.
If you do not evacuate, please be aware, critical public safety services including Fire and EMS at a certain time would withdraw their equipment and personnel from the island. If conditions are severe, power and water systems could be shut down.
There will be no new rental guest check in past Monday at 12 p.m. All current rental guests need to depart the island by Tuesday at 7 p.m. All rental agencies including Airbnb and VRBO owners should notify their tenants.
While there is an official evacuation route, it is possible deputies may use their discretion based on traffic flow.
- The Station will be open today until 6 p.m. Residents will still have access to gas pumps with credit card access as long as there is power.
- All Town meetings scheduled for this week have been canceled and Town offices will be closed until further notice.
- Beginning Tuesday at 7 p.m., the Community Association will close the island for commercial access.
- Trash collection is suspended until further notice. Please make sure your cans are pulled in and secure
- The Sandcastle is closed until further notice. All regularly scheduled classes & meetings are canceled.
- For information on Freshfields Village tenant hours/closures click here
- KIGR closes at noon today, with the exception of Town Center Market and Cougar Point’s Players Pub which will be open until 9 p.m. tonight.
- Ponds and lakes are at max drainage in anticipation of heavy rain and potential flooding.
- Charleston County has activated the Citizen Information Line at 843-746-3900.
- If you have special needs regarding medical assistance, contact the Disabilities Resource Center at (843) 225-5080.
- All schools and state government offices in Charleston County will be closed and these closures may continue to Wednesday and beyond pending hurricane conditions.
Official Evacuation Route:
- Evacuation Zones Kiawah/Seabrook Island is in ZONE A
- Evacuation Route: Bohicket/Main Rd. to US 17. US 17 south to SC 64 where you will go to Walterboro, then to North Augusta
- National Weather Service
- South Carolina Emergency Management Division
- SCDOT live road conditions
- Kiawah Island Community Association
- Live 5 News
- ABC News 4
- Post and Courier
Sign up for the Town’s emergency notification system CodeRED here.CodeRED is used to communicate to residents to a designated phone number in emergency situations. CodeRED is reserved for short evacuation related messages sent with only pertinent information.