September 08, 2017
Hurricane Irma Update #5
The latest report from the National Hurricane Center predicts that Hurricane Irma’s likely track will move away from Kiawah toward middle or western South Carolina. The Governor, this evening, announced that Kiawah Island would not be put under an evacuation order. Governor McMasters did issue an evacuation order for barrier islands in Colleton, Beaufort and Jasper counties beginning at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow.
According to weather and county emergency agencies, our area is expected to receive heavy rainfall, storm surge of 4-6 feet, with the possibility of tropical storm force winds, flooding and tornado threats. The heaviest impacts to our area are anticipated for Monday. Please be aware there are already strong rip currents and high surf along the Atlantic Ocean. As always with severe weather, power outages could occur.
The Town and Community Association are making preparations to respond in whatever capacity the event demands. We will continue to monitor Hurricane Irma and the effects on our community and will communicate necessary information to our residents.
You can expect the next update tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. If there is breaking news we will release that information before our scheduled communication. You can expect updates via our website, email notifications or social media.
- The Charleston County landfill is not accessible to commercial drop-offs; therefore, trash collection has been suspended until Tuesday. Please bring trash receptacles in from the street.
- Town and KICA offices are closed through Tuesday., though the Main Security is staffed and will remain in operation unless conditions become dangerous.
- The Community Association has closed the island for commercial access with exceptions made for those assisting with storm preparations.
- Ponds and lakes are at max drainage in anticipation of heavy rain and potential flooding.
- The nearest sandbag distribution center is James Island at James Island Youth Soccer Field located on 871 Fort Johnson Road open dusk till dawn) or Dock Street Park 1433 Patterson Avenue (open dusk till dawn).
- The Sandcastle is closed until further notice. All regularly scheduled classes & meetings are canceled. Also, all water will be turned off to boardwalks & fountains.
- The Station hours of operation are the following: Saturday 7:00 – 10: 00 a.m. then closing until Tuesday. Residents will still have access to gas pumps with credit card access as long as there is power.
- For information on Freshfields Village tenant hours/closure click here
- Kiawah Island is in a flood zone. Please review this notice regarding cleanup of damaged structures within in a flood plain area.