September 10, 2017
Hurricane Irma Update #7
Following today’s Charleston County Emergency Management Department conference call on Hurricane Irma, county emergency agencies anticipate the following:
- Irma’s impacts to our region will begin tonight, peaking Monday, and possibly continuing into early Tuesday.
- The heaviest impacts to Kiawah is expected for Monday morning with heavy rainfall (4-8”), storm surge (4-6 ft.), sustained wind speeds of 35-40 mph with wind gusts up to 60 mph as well as possible tornado threats.
- The most significant concern for Kiawah is the storm surge combined with high tide. High tide on Monday is 12:37 p.m.
Be aware that road closures on the island are possible. Localized flooding is highly likely on Kiawah Island Parkway between Freshfields and the main gate, Kiawah Island Parkway near the Fire Station, Governors Drive at Turtle Point maintenance and Governors Drive at Trumpet Creeper. Please limit your travel in these areas.
Please be aware that access to the island may be impaired depending on storm surge. Kiawah Island Parkway between the bridge and the main gate may be at risk. If you have not already obtained necessities to weather the storm, please do so this afternoon.
The beach is beginning to see treacherous conditions with strong rip currents and high surf. We encourage you to stay off the beach and do not enter the water.
As always with severe weather, power outages could occur. Berkeley Electric does not anticipate cutting power to the island, however, if conditions require for them to proactively cut power we will notify you as soon as possible.
The Town followed the County’s lead and moved to OPCON 1 at 1:00 p.m. The Town and Community Association are making preparations to respond in whatever capacity the event demands. We will continue to communicate necessary storm information to our residents.
You can expect the next update tomorrow by 2:00 p.m. If there is breaking news we will release that information before our scheduled communication.
- The Sandcastle fitness center is accessible. All regularly scheduled classes & meetings are canceled.
- Town and KICA offices are closed through Tuesday. The Main Security gate is staffed and will remain in operation unless conditions become dangerous. The Island is closed for commercial access. Also, all water has been turned off to boardwalks & fountains.
- The James Island sandbag distribution locations have been depleted.
- Kiawah Island Utility does not anticipate interruptions in water service however they have asked if there are power outages please limit flushing until the power has resumed. If you have questions, please contact KIU at 843-768-0641
- Ponds and lakes are at max drainage in anticipation of heavy rain and potential flooding.
- The Charleston County landfill is not accessible to commercial drop-offs; therefore, trash collection has been suspended until Tuesday. Please bring trash receptacles in from the street. It is anticipated trash collection will resume Tuesday. Updates to come.
- Beachwalker County Park is closed until September 12th
- The Station is closed until Tuesday. Residents will still have access to gas pumps with credit card access as long as there is power.
- For information on Freshfields Village tenant hours/closures click here
- Kiawah Island is in a flood zone. Please review this notice regarding cleanup of damaged structures within in a floodplain area.