September 11, 2017
Hurricane Irma Update #8
As we are experiencing severe weather from Hurricane Irma, residents should be aware of the following:
- Residents should stay home and off the roads for their safety.
- The following roadways are flooded and impassable:
- Kiawah Island Parkway from the bridge to the main gate.
- Kiawah Island Parkway at the Fire Station
- Localized flooding on other roads is expected.
- Parts of Kiawah is experiencing power outages. Berkeley Electric has notified us that this was not an intentional shut-off but was due to severe weather conditions.
- Tornado threats are possible. If this should occur, seek shelter in a small interior windowless room on the lowest level.
- The beach is under treacherous conditions with strong rip currents and high surf. Stay off the beach and do not enter the water.
- Current weather conditions are expected to continue through this evening until tomorrow morning.
You can expect the next update this evening. If there is breaking news we will release that information before our scheduled communication.