February 28, 2020
Kiawah Island Parkway Improvement Project Schedule – Traffic Impact Notice
Beginning March 2 through May 12, construction crews will be working on the Kiawah Island Parkway from the main KICA gate to and including the Freshfields roundabout as a part of the Kiawah Island Parkway Improvement Project (Phase 1). Traffic control, construction crews, and construction equipment will be present along the Parkway for the duration of the project. The targeted completion date is May 12, 2020.
The bike path from the main gate to Freshfields will remain open. During the day, the Town does not anticipate any formal lane closures, but there could be intermittent traffic delays. To minimize interference, the majority of construction will take place in the evening and overnight. There will be periods (cited below), where the Parkway will be reduced to a single-lane during evening/early morning hours (7:30 p.m. – 6:00 a.m.).
The schedule for the Parkway Improvement Project (Phase 1) is as follows*:
- March 2 – March 3 | No traffic impact
- survey crews, mobilization of equipment, vegetation clearing
- March 4 – March 9 | Evening single-lane closure (7:30 p.m. – 6:00 a.m.)
- road construction
- March 10 – March 24 | No lane closures, intermittent traffic delays possible
- vegetation clearing, construction of a right turn lane into the field adjacent to Freshfields Village, storm drain maintenance
- March 25 – April 29 | Evening single-lane closure (7:30 p.m. – 6:00 a.m.) with the exception of Easter weekend (April 10 – 12)
- shoulder stabilization, road construction
- April 30 – May 11 | No work currently scheduled
- subject to change should weather or other delays impact the schedule.
- May 11 – May 12 | Evening single-lane closure (7:30 p.m. – 6:00 m.)
- pavement marking
*Since the material used for pavement preservation is weather and temperature dependent, the schedule of the timeline above is tentative. If there are any adjustments to the schedule, we will communicate those changes as soon as possible.
Residents can expect to see the clearing of vegetation, roadway shoulder stabilization, construction of a right turn lane into the field adjacent to Freshfields Village, grading and milling of pavement, guardrail replacement, and large construction equipment along the Parkway. While every effort to minimize the impact of construction on traffic has been taken, residents, guests, and employees should allow extra time for travel.
Phase 2 of the Parkway Improvement Project, which includes landscaping enhancements, will take place after completion of the road work. More details to follow.
The Town will send updates for the duration of the project to keep the community informed. We thank you in advance for your patience during this infrastructure project.
For more information on the project, contact Brian Gottshalk at 843-768-5111 or at email@example.com.
The Kiawah Island Parkway Improvement Project is a major road improvement project funded by the Town of Kiawah to repair and resurface the Parkway from the roundabout at Freshfields to the main gate. The project includes substantial landscaping improvements. The new landscaping will utilize more than 80% native plants and incorporated strategies to reduce and filter stormwater runoff, minimize the use of pesticides, and enhance wildlife habitats. The renderings are available here.
Through a bidding process, the Town selected McCormick Taylor as the engineering firm to oversee the project, Banks Construction for repair/resurfacing, and Outdoor Spatial Design (OSD) to design the landscaping component.