March 11, 2020
Monitoring Coronavirus / COVID – 19 Update
DHEC is closely monitoring the emerging outbreak of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). DHEC is investigating multiple cases of COVID-19 in South Carolina.
Best health practices to prevent and avoid the spread of respiratory diseases include:
- Avoid close contact with people who show signs of respiratory illness.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Wash your hands frequently and use hand sanitizer.
- Cover your cough and avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Sanitize commonly touched surfaces and objects regularly with these recommended disinfectant products.
- The CDC does not suggest people who are well to wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19. Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the virus to others.
Call your primary care physician first if you develop symptoms (fever, cough, shortness of breath) and/or have been in close contact with a person known to have COVID-19.
For general questions about COVID-19, the DHEC Care Line is available at 1-855-472-3432 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. seven days a week.