March 18, 2021
Municipal Center Closing at 1 p.m. Due to Severe Weather
Due to the latest severe weather forecast from the National Weather Service, the Municipal Center will close at 1 p.m. today.
Severe Weather Alert
The National Weather Service is reporting severe thunderstorms are this afternoon across Southeast South Carolina. The approximate impact time for Charleston County is 3 – 6 p.m. and storms are expected to last 1-2 hours once they hit.
Effects could include damaging winds, tornadoes, hail, and power outages. Be sure to fully charge phones, tablets, and laptops in preparation. As always, in an emergency call 9-1-1.
To report a power outage, call Berkeley Electric Outage Line at 1-888-253-4232 or online at berkeleyelectric.coop or use their free SmartHub mobile app through the app store on your mobile device.Review the flyers below to ensure you are following the correct procedures and have the most up-to-date information.
Sign up for CodeRed
Sign up for the Town’s emergency notification system CodeRed here. Be sure to leave the optional severe weather warnings checked to opt in for notices on tornados and severe thunderstorms.
In the event of a tornado, follow these guidelines from Ready.gov:
- Go to a safe shelter immediately, such as a safe room, basement, storm cellar or a small interior room on the lowest level of a sturdy building.
- Stay away from windows, doors, and outside walls.
- Do not go under an overpass or bridge. You’re safer in a low, flat location.
- Watch out for flying debris.
- Use your arms to protect your head and neck.
- If you can’t stay at home, make plans to go to a public shelter.
- After the tornado, stay clear of fallen power lines or broken utility lines.