March 19, 2020
Municipal Center Moves to Virtual Operations
Governor Henry McMaster’s State of Emergency announced the initiation of emergency declaration procedures that assist in a regional response to COVID-19. Today, the Town of Kiawah Island declared a State of Emergency for the Town. The declaration is procedural and speeds up the processes for the Town to rapidly deploy or seek the necessary resources to respond to COVID-19.
The Town continues to stress the importance of following guidance from local public health experts to slow the spread of COVID-19. Individual citizens remain the best defense against the disease by following the recommended personal hygiene and social distancing guidelines urged by the DHEC and CDC.
The Declaration of a State of Emergency supports the following measures:
- The Municipal Center will be closed to the public. Residents and customers can continue to do business with the Town online.
- Administrative services will remain available during normal business hours Monday – Friday (8 a.m.-5 p.m.) but will be handled through virtual operations.
- Phones will be monitored, and calls will be transferred to staff that are working remotely. If you reach a voicemail, please leave your contact information and staff will return your call. Staff will be readily available over email and the directory is located here.
Garbage and recycling collection will operate on a normal schedule. However, this is subject to any closure at the Charleston County Bee’s Ferry Landfill. Solid waste billing can be paid through the online system. New accounts can be set up through Sherry Fortson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-768-5109.
Sheriff’s Office Deputies and Code Enforcement
Sheriff’s Office Deputies and Code Enforcement will maintain physical presence on the island and operate as usual. All Town ordinances will be enforced, and violators will be ticketed. Anyone experiencing problems with rental properties or ordinance violations can report them to the 24-hour hotline at 843-259-2137 or through the online submittal form.
The island is still open to commercial traffic at this time. Contractors and customers may continue to handle permit applications, inspection requests, business licensing applications, zoning permits, and plan reviews, through the online services portal. Walk-ins are suspended at this time.
Inspections will continue to be conducted Monday through Friday. There could be minor delays in performing inspections. Concrete pour inspections will receive priority, all other inspections will be performed as they are scheduled through the online services portal.Pictures cannot be used in lieu of an inspection being performed.
For assistance, please refer to the contact list below:
- Business Licenses – email email@example.com or call Krista Dubois at 843-768-5102.
- Rental Licenses & Violation Complaints – email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Jan Fox at 843-768-5119
- Permit applications, Inspections & Zoning Permits – Contact Sharon Johnson at email@example.com or 843-768-4879
- Plans Review – Contact Daniel Green at firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-260-4057 or Bruce Spicher at email@example.com or 843-768-5107
- Planning and Zoning Review – Contact John Taylor firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-768-9979
KICA Commercial Pass Office
The commercial pass office will continue to operate under normal operating hours (Monday- Friday, 7 a.m.- 3:30 p.m.), though with reduced staff. Commercial work hours are continuing as usual with work allowed Monday – Friday from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m., Saturdays 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., and no commercial work on Sundays. In order to limit interactions, all commercial decals with an expiration of March 31 are automatically extended until April 30. If you have specific questions, you may reach commercial pass at 843-768-8240 or email@example.com.
Municipal Court cases that were scheduled to be heard in April have been deferred to May. For assistance, please refer to the contact list below:
- Court – Contact Sherry Fortson at firstname.lastname@example.org 843- 768-5109
- Short-term Rental Compliance – Contact Jan Fox email@example.com or 843-768-5119
- Questions regarding finance or accounting contact Dorota Szubert at firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-768-5104.
- Public information requests can be sent to Stephanie Braswell at email@example.com or 843-768-5113.
- General questions can be sent to Stephanie Tillerson firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-768-5103.
These measures are being put in place for the protection of the community, visitors, and employees to help slow the spread of COVID-19 and ensure the healthcare system is not overwhelmed. The Town will continue to assess and make changes as necessary.