September 12, 2017
Post Irma Report
Post Irma Initial Report
Kiawah is experiencing a partial power outage. Berkeley Electric is on the island and actively assessing their equipment. We are expected to have a better timeline later today on restoration and will notify residents as soon as possible.
Following this morning’s initial survey, the report is below:
- There significant debris on all roadways and many roads are passable by one lane only. Debris cleanup crews are on island and are working as quickly as possible.
- Governors Drive between Surfsong and the Preserve is impassable. Deputies are on site directing traffic.
- There is a downed tree blocking the road on Governors near Bufflehead.
- The entrance to Rhett’s Bluff and Sea Marsh Drive across from the 7th green of Cougar Point is passible with one lane only.
- The Egret pond bike path has been washed away.
- The dock at Rhett’s Bluff has been damaged and is blocked off.
- The beach has sustained heavy erosion and many boardwalks have been damaged or destroyed. The Town is currently assessing boardwalks, but they are not safe for use at this time. Debris is scattered along the length of the beach posing hazardous risks to the public. Crews are on the beach beginning the cleanup process now. Please stay off the beach and out of the water for your own safety.
You can expect the next update later today. If there is breaking news we will release that information before our scheduled communication. You can expect updates via our website, email notifications and social media.