September 12, 2017
Post Irma Update #2
Post Irma Report #2 – Sept. 12
- Governors Drive to first Flyway both inbound and outbound lanes are now open. The flood water has receded. All roads to Kiawah Island from Charleston, West Ashley and James Island are passable.
- The Island is still closed for commercial access.
- Town Disaster Recovery teams have completed their damage assessment surveys. Their report states there is no major damage to any homes, however there was minor flooding to some homes. If you have flood damage, please contact your property manager and/or your flood insurance provider. Please review this notice regarding cleanup of damaged structures within in a flood plain area.
- Berkeley Electric reports power has been restored to most of the front part of the island including Freshfields. Additional power will be restored incrementally as Berkeley Electric is working on multiple circuits. They currently have five crews working on the island and field reports indicate the flooding is worse on Kiawah than during Hurricane Hugo. Berkeley Electric indicates they cannot provide a guaranteed timeline and it could be a multi-day event as they inspect equipment. We will continue update residents as information becomes available.
- Kiawah Island Utility have asked residents that do not have power to limit flushing until the power has been restored. If you have questions, please contact KIU at 843-768-0641.
Environmental/ Beach Report:
- The beach has sustained heavy erosion and many boardwalks have been damaged or destroyed. The Town is currently assessing boardwalks, but they are not safe for use at this time. Debris is scattered along the length of the beach posing hazardous risks to the public. Crews are on the beach continuing the cleanup process now. Please stay off the beach and out of the water for your own safety.
- The Town’s Environmental department is conducting a beach assessment. Erosion reports and drone footage will be released once the report is complete. Initial pictures of the beach have been posted on our Facebook page
The trash collection schedule for this week is as follows:
- Monday collection will be picked up on Wednesday.
- Tuesday collection will be picked up on Thursday.
- Recycling will be picked up on Friday.
- Yard debris collection will begin this Saturday and resume next Thursday. As a reminder, large yard debris can be placed curbside but loose debris should be placed in paper bags. Do not block cable or electrical boxes.
- A brown trash collection is going to be scheduled. We will notify you when the date has been confirmed.
- If you have questions, email Rusty Lameo at email@example.com
- The Sandcastle is open.
- The Town office will reopen tomorrow at 8:00 a.m.
- Beachwalker County Park will reopen tomorrow morning.
- For information on Freshfields Village tenant hours/closures click here