August 19, 2020
REAL ID Deadline Extension
The deadline for enforcement of REAL IDs has been extended from October 1, 2020 to October 1, 2021 due to circumstances surrounding COVID-19. After the new deadline, your South Carolina driver’s license or identification card must have a gold star to show it’s a REAL ID in order to board a domestic, commercial flight, enter a secure federal building, or visit a military installation. If you have a valid US Passport, military ID, or another federal identification that’s accepted by airport security, you may use that instead of changing your SC license or ID to a REAL ID. A REAL ID will be your license or your ID. You are not issued separate cards and will hold one of the following:
• REAL ID license
• REAL ID Identification Card (no driving privileges)
• Standard license marked “Not for Federal Identification”
• Standard ID (no driving privileges) marked “Not for Federal Identification”
A gold star on your license or ID designates it as a REAL ID.
How do I obtain my REAL ID?
You can obtain your REAL ID in person at the DMV or you may be eligible to apply for a REAL ID online. To see if you are eligible, visit www.scdmvonline.com/Driver-Services/Drivers-License/REAL-ID
The SCDMV will need all of the following documents to issue a REAL ID:
• Proof of Identity (Government-issued birth certificate or valid US Passport)
• Proof of Social Security Number
• Two Proofs of Current, Physical SC Address
• Proof of All Legal Name Changes