January 02, 2018
Severe Winter Weather Notice
Today the Town participated in a conference call with Charleston County Emergency Management Department, the National Weather Service and regional counterparts to discuss the Winter Storm Watch that will affect the tri-county area tomorrow.
- Beginning as early as 8:00 a.m. tomorrow, residents can expect severe winter weather to include freezing rain accumulations up to a tenth of an inch following with 1 – 3 inches of snow and sleet. The winter storm watch is expected to last into Wednesday evening. Unseasonably cold temperatures will remain through this week.
- The combination of snow, ice and wind gusts up to 25 mph will result in slippery roadways as well as falling tree limbs that will make travel dangerous. Please stay off the roadways tomorrow.
- Power outages are expected to be minimal but are possible with this storm. If you lose power, contact Berkeley Electric at 843-559-2458.
- The Municipal Center will be closed tomorrow. We will send out an update if there are any changes.
Solid Waste Notice:
There will be no trash collection tomorrow. Tuesday collection will be picked up Thursday. Recycling will be collected on Friday. Yard debris will be collected on Saturday.
- Remember to keep a full charge on your cell phone and mobile devices so that they can be used during an emergency.
- Keep alternative heating sources prepared. If you have a fireplace, store a good supply of dry, seasoned wood.
- Never operate a portable generator indoors to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Freezing temperatures can burst water pipes in homes that lack heat or proper insulation. Wrap exposed pipes or take other measures to insulate them from the cold.
- Provide options for outdoor pets to stay warm.
- If needed- monitor local media for information about warming shelters that have been opened by county emergency managers,
Other Helpful Links: