May 15, 2020
Town Council Passed Resolution on Reopening and Operation of Short-term Rentals
Yesterday, Town Council passed Resolution 2020-02 which established guidelines for reopening and operation of short-term rentals. The resolution includes protocols guided by the CDC, SCDHEC, and MUSC to promote the safe operation of short-term rentals and provides rental owners with measures to prevent exposure of their renters and workers to the COVID-19 virus.
All short-term rental properties are encouraged to follow the protocols established in the resolution. The signed resolution is available here.
A summary of the protocols is provided below:
• Clean thoroughly between guests. Ensure that the short-term rental property is cleaned prior to every rental by following, at minimum, recommended MUSC guidelines for the cleaning and sanitation of rental properties during this pandemic.
• Use effective cleaning products and procedures. Either post in the property or provide to renters at the time of check-in a summary description of the cleaning and sanitizing procedures being followed. If you’re using a cleaning service, please confirm that they’re using the suggested methods and products.
• Allow sufficient time between rentals. It is encouraged, especially when it cannot reliably be ensured that enhanced cleaning protocols can be followed, to allow 24 hours between rental departures and arrivals to reduce the potential for the contamination of the property by the active COVID-19 virus. If a check-in occurs within 24 hours, inform the arriving guests of the date and time of the last rental.
• Properly train personnel or contract workers. Ensure all persons (direct employees and contracted service providers) directly associated with cleaning or servicing of the short-term rental property and/or providing associated services (check-in, pool maintenance, bike rental, etc.) are adequately trained and follow proper health checks.
• Social Distancing. Short-term rental property owners or their authorized agents should notify renters via email, rental website, or posting inside the rental the guidelines on social distancing when on the beach, at retail stores and Harris Teeter, and on the shared use bike paths.
• Guests with COVID-19 like symptoms. If they feel sick with possible COVID-19 symptoms, they should seek evaluation for COVID-19 and be tested if testing is recommended. If determined to be positive, they should self-report to the rental owner or manager and follow the recommendation of their physician, which could include vacating the property or self-quarantine.