January 11, 2019
Town of Kiawah Island Seeking a Building Inspector/Code Enforcement Officer
General Statement of Duties
This position is divided between performing new residential building, existing residential building and vacation rental inspections, and code enforcement officer duties. Candidate will ensure code compliance during project site visits and during various phases of construction. Candidate must be able to interpret construction drawings, have an excellent oral and written communication skill set. Performing inspections related to the Town’s ordinances, building codes, State laws, investigating alleged violations, issuing citations, and coordinating with other departments and agencies is just a brief example of required daily activities. Combination Building/Code Enforcement Officer duties are performed with limited supervision. Candidate will be required to become proficient with the various software’s utilized by the department. Detailed report writing is a must. During major storm events, the candidate will be required to be placed in an “on-call” status and will be a member of the damage assessment team.
The essential duties and responsibilities performed by this person will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Conducts research to facilitate departmental operations, which include: locating parcel data, gathering information for court cases, conducting ordinance’s review, and permit research.
- Prepare and maintain accurate records of inspections, court cases, and violation citations issued.
- Responds to and investigates alleged violations of state laws, town ordinances, and codes related to public health nuisances.
- Performs new residential, existing residential, and vacation rental inspections.
- Prioritizes works schedule, performs follow-up inspections to ensure compliance with applicable building codes.
- Coordinates with other departments and agencies
- Is an active participant in all departmental meetings.
- Required to maintain a current level of technical expertise as new code editions are made available.
- Performs other assigned duties as needed.
This position reports to the Development Services Manager.
Position requires a high school diploma or GED equivalent. A minimum of five years of construction experience and/or a combination of education and experience. ICC Certifications preferred but not required. The chosen candidate will be required to obtain one ICC Residential Building Inspector certification, and ICC Property Maintenance and Housing Inspector certification within one year of employment, and must achieve certification as an SC State approved Residential Building Inspector within four-years. Ability to speak Spanish fluently is desired but not required.
Salary is compensated based on the level of experience.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, Paid Holidays, Paid Time Off, Life insurance amd AFLAC plans
How to apply: Applications are are available here Forward resume and application to attn.: Bruce Spicher, Development Services Manager at email@example.com or 4475 Betsy Kerrison Pkwy, Kiawah Island, SC 29455. Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline: March 15, 2019
EOE Disclaimer Town of Kiawah Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer.