September 19, 2018
Town of Kiawah Island Seeking a Building Inspector/Code Enforcement Officer
General Statement of Duties
This position is split between building inspector and code enforcement officer. The candidate will be responsible for code compliance inspections for both residential and commercial structures. Candidate will ensure code compliance during project site visits during various phases of construction. Candidate must be able to interpret construction drawings, have an excellent oral and written communication skill set. Candidates perform duties as code enforcement officers. Performing inspections related to the Town’s ordinances, investigating alleged violations, issuing citations, and coordinating with other departments and agencies. Combination Building/Code Enforcement Officer position duties are performed with limited supervision. Candidate will be required to become proficient with the various software’s utilized by the department. Detailed report writing is a must. During major storm events, the candidate will be required to be placed in an “on-call” status and will be a member of the damage assessment team.
The Town of Kiawah Island, South Carolina is seeking a Building Inspector/Code Enforcement Officer. The essential duties and responsibilities performed by this person will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Conducts research to facilitate departmental operations, which include: locating parcel data, gathering information for court cases, conducting ordinance review, and permit research.
- Prepare and maintain accurate records of inspections, court cases, and violation citations issued.
- Responds to and investigates alleged violations of state laws, town ordinances, and codes related to public health nuisances.
- Performs both residential and commercial building inspections.
- Prioritizes works schedule, performs follow-up inspections to ensure compliance with applicable building codes.
- Coordinates with other departments and agencies when necessitated due to circumstances of present at the time.
- Is an active participant in all departmental meetings.
- Required to maintain a current level of technical expertise as new code editions are made available.
- Performs other assigned duties as needed.
This position reports to the Development Services Manager.
Position requires a high school diploma or GED equivalent. A minimum of five years of construction, construction management experience and or a combination of education and experience and the following ICC Certifications, preferred but not required:
- Commercial Building Inspector
- Commercial Electrical Inspector
- Commercial Plumbing Inspector
- Commercial Mechanical Inspector
- Valid SC Driver License
- Bilingual Spanish speaking skills highly desirable, but not required
Pay info: Salary range $48,880 – $65,000, annually + benefits
How to apply: Applications are available online here. Forward resume and application to attn.: Bruce Spicher, Development Services Manager at email@example.com or 4475 Betsy Kerrison Pkwy, Kiawah Island, SC 29455. Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline: October 22, 2018
EOE Disclaimer Town of Kiawah Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer.