February 08, 2022
Town of Kiawah Island seeking a Commercial Combination Inspector
The Town of Kiawah Island is seeking a full-time Commercial Combination Inspector
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were written out in this job description.
Department: Building Services
Salary Range: $51,284-$79,491
FLSA Status: Exempt
Under the general direction of the Building Official, inspects commercial and residential buildings for compliance with plumbing, electrical, HVAC, building and other related codes, ordinances, and laws by making routine field inspections throughout the construction period; prepares written correspondence relating to code violations. Performs other related duties as required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs inspections on all aspects of building inspections, to include all sub-contractor trades during various stages of construction to ensure compliance with all applicable codes, ordinances, and regulations.
- Reviews construction plans and specifications for compliance with currently adopted codes, ordinances, and regulations.
- Inspects existing buildings and premises for change of use, occupancy, and/or compliance with applicable codes, ordinances, and regulations.
- Enforces building codes, ordinances, and regulations, issues citations, stop work notices and written notices of code violations requiring corrective action and investigates complaints.
- Answers questions and provides information to the public, contractors and applicants regarding building requirements, regulations, and procedures.
- Cross trains and works with other inspectors.
- Maintain digital files and reports regarding inspection and findings.
- Attend training and meetings to maintain certifications.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- During emergency response situations for our community, such as hurricanes or floods, the position may be tasked with additional duties, such as assessing damages to structures.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. certificate required.
- Must have the following International Code Council (ICC) certifications:
- ICC Commercial Building Inspector Certification
- ICC Commercial Electrical Inspector Certification
- ICC Commercial Mechanical Inspector Certification
- ICC Commercial Plumbing Inspector Certification
- Five years’ experience in building construction or three years’ experience as a commercial building inspector.
Licenses or Certifications:
A valid SC driver’s license, or ability to obtain by start of employment.
Knowledge of coastal construction design principles and practices.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of pertinent codes and ordinances.
- Knowledge of proper inspection methods.
- Knowledge of legal procedures involving enforcement of building codes and ordinances.
- Ability to read, write and communicate effectively in person, email, or by telephone with the public in English language.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective relationship and to communicate with departmental personnel, other Town employees, contractors, and the public.
- Ability to objectively interpret code requirements.
- Familiar with building trades, building construction, foundation, framing, plumbing, electrical, HVAC systems.
- Ability to enforce codes with firmness, tact, and impartiality.
- Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, property owners, building contractors, officials, and the public.
- Skilled in the use of personal computer and general office equipment.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office programs, knowledge of computer operations including spreadsheet formulation.
- Ability to interpret oral and written instructions and refer deviations, problems, or unfamiliar situations to supervisor for proper decisions and guidance.
- Ability to write reports, memos, schedules, and general correspondence.
- Ability to manage daily workloads and meet deadlines to maintain efficiency within the department.
- Skilled in safety regulations, work practices and procedures.
- Ability to work independently in the absence of specific instructions.
The work is light work which requires exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force to move objects. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb; balance; and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work is performed in a safe and secure work environment that may periodically have unpredicted requirements or demands. Manual work may also take place out in the field. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Employee benefits include:
- 401K (matching)
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Life Insurance
- AFLAC Plans
How to apply: Applications are available here. Forward resume and application to attn.: Bruce Spicher, Development Services Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or 4475 Betsy Kerrison Pkwy, Kiawah Island, SC 29455. Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
The Town of Kiawah Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and pregnancy-related conditions), gender identity or expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
A printable version of this job description is available here