December 06, 2021
Town of Kiawah Island – Seeking a Communications Specialist
The Town of Kiawah Island, South Carolina is seeking a Communications Specialist to assist the Communication Manager in delivering the Town’s communication and provides administrative support to the Communications Manager. This position reports to the Communication Manager.
Essential Job Functions
The essential duties and responsibilities performed by this person will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Assists Communication Manager in providing communication and media assistance to Mayor, Town Administrator, and Arts Council.
- Assists Communications Manager in marketing, communications, and public relations activities, including e-newsletter, publications, social media, and media relations.
- Assists in developing communication assets, communication campaigns, branding efforts, and community programs for print and digital marketing channels.
- Designs educational materials such as flyers, ads, and programs.
- Assists in planning and execution of internal and external events.
- Maintains website content to maintain timely and current content.
- Aids in coordinating media interest in the organization and ensures regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests.
- Oversees print newsletters and mailing, assures timely publication of all print material; maintains and updates mailing lists for publications.
- Maintains social media platforms and App content management based on town policies.
- Monitors trends in social media tools, channels, design, and strategy. Analyzes campaigns and translates data into recommendations and plans for improving campaigns.
- When necessary, serve as the Communications Manager proxy in attending town and community meetings, keeps town officials abreast of activities and feedback, and provides input to all groups.
- Maintains CodeRED Emergency notification system database. When necessary, serve as the Communications Manager proxy in sending out notification of disaster, weather, traffic concerns or any other impending emergency notifications.
- Initiates and coordinates and/or participate in all efforts to publicize events.
- Administrates virtual meetings and corresponding live streams for Town meetings.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Requires an Associate’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations, or a related field and two (2) years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Bachelor’s Degree in a communications-related field preferred.
Licenses or Certifications:
A valid SC driver’s license, or ability to obtain by the start of employment. Ability to obtain and/or maintain various certifications, as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficient in Windows and Apple operating software, Microsoft Office Suite, WordPress, and Constant Contact.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Knowledge and understanding of Social Media platforms, their respective participants (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.), and how each platform can be deployed in different scenarios.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to work with team collaboration. The ideal applicant is a strong writer, tech-savvy, is positive and self-motivated, and can work well under pressure and in an ever-changing environment.
- Ability to take quality photos and photo editing.
- Ability to multi-task, be organized and handle a complex workload.
- Ability to set clear objectives and timelines.
- Possess design and writing samples.
Salary: Salary range $41,863 – $64,888 (depending on qualifications and education) plus benefits.
How to apply: Applications are available here or at the municipal center located at 4475 Betsy Kerrison Parkway, Kiawah Island, South Carolina 29455. Applicants should forward their application, resume, and samples of previous work or portfolio to Stephanie Braswell, Communications Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Deadline: December 22, 2021
EOE Disclaimer Town of Kiawah Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
A printable copy of the job posting is available here.