September 20, 2021
Town of Kiawah Island – Seeking a Public Safety Manager
General Statement of Duties
The Town of Kiawah Island is unique when compared to other municipalities in South Carolina. Kiawah Island is a residential community with a resort surrounded by a unique and beautiful natural setting. Kiawah Island is a private community. Most of the roads and drainage are located beyond the first main gate owned and managed by the Kiawah Island Community Association, a private non-profit property owner’s association.
The Town of Kiawah Island is responsible for the public, health, and safety of all those within the Town limits of Kiawah. The 2020 Census estimates the Town’s population is 1,769 full-time residents. However, the Town is home to hundreds of second home property owners and hundreds of thousands of visitors every year.
The Public Safety Department was created this year due to the growth of the island. The Town is seeking a Public Safety Manager. This position is responsible for directing, planning, developing, analyzing, and coordinating programs and services for the Town of Kiawah Island’s public safety department. In addition, this position supervises the Code Enforcement Officer and Code Enforcement Officer/Residential Inspector. Reports to the Town Administrator.
Essential Job Functions
Note: This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The list of essential functions below does not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent in this position.
• Assumes full management responsibility for all Public Safety Department services and activities; manages the development and implementation of departmental goals, objectives, and priorities for each assigned service area; recommends and administers policies and procedures. Develops annual department budgets for operations and equipment.
• Assists in developing long-range capital budgets for various public safety programs.
• Monitors the departmental budgets throughout the fiscal year and oversees the purchase and maintenance of equipment, vehicles, and supplies.
• Act as liaison to Charleston County Sheriff’s Office, St. Johns Fire Department, Charleston County EMS, Beach Patrol, Kiawah Island Golf Resort (KIGR), and Kiawah Island Community Association (KICA).
• Ensures the public safety roles during an emergency event are carried out effectively through coordination with local, county, state, or federal law enforcement agencies and with the local security entities on the island (KIGR and KICA).
• Establishes, within Town policy, appropriate service and staffing levels with Charleston County Sheriff’s Office and Charleston County EMS; monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; allocates resources accordingly.
• Plans, directs, and coordinates, through subordinate level staff, the Public Safety Department’s work plan; assigns projects and programmatic areas of responsibility; reviews and evaluates work methods and procedures; meets with key staff to identify and resolve problems.
• Provides staff assistance to the Town Administrator and Town Council; prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary correspondence; attends Town Council and other meetings as required.
• Represents the Public Safety Department to other departments, elected officials, and outside agencies; coordinates assigned activities with other departments and outside agencies and organizations.
• Responds to and resolves complex and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints; explains, justifies, and defends department programs, policies, and activities; negotiates and resolves sensitive and controversial issues.
• Participates on various boards, commissions, and committees; serves as the Town’s representatives to committees and community organizations concerned with improvements in law enforcement and fire services, public education, and departmental public relations.
• Attends and participates in professional group meetings; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the field of law enforcement, crime prevention, and related support services; incorporates new developments as appropriate.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of state statutes and local ordinances.
• Knowledge of budget development and administration and of short- and long-term strategic plans.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks in a detailed and accurate manner.
• Ability to set clear objectives and timelines.
• Ability to establish successful working relationships.
Educational and Experience Qualifications
Requires a bachelor’s degree and five (5) years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Pay info: Salary range $75,085.52 – $129,123.83 annually (depending on qualifications) + benefits
How to apply: Applications are available here or at the Kiawah Island Municipal Center at 4475 Beachwalker Drive, Kiawah Island, SC 29455. Forward resume and employment application to attn.: Stephanie Monroe Tillerson, Town Administrator at email@example.com or 4475 Betsy Kerrison Pkwy, Kiawah Island, SC 29455. Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline: Friday, October 22, 2021
EOE Disclaimer Town of Kiawah Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Printable copy of job posting available here.