September 22, 2021
Town of Kiawah Island – Seeking a Public Works Assistant
General Statement of Duties
As a tourist destination, the aesthetics of the Town looks is critical to our mission. The Public Works Department plays a crucial role in ensuring this mission is maintained. Therefore, the Town created a new position, Public Works Assistant. Under limited supervision, this person will be responsible for helping plan, organize, direct, and control the various activities of the Public Works Department, including engineering, landscaping, critical facilities, roads & bridge, and fleet management, and managing Town contracts. Reports to the Public Works Manager.
Essential Job Functions
Note: This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The list of essential functions below does not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent in this position.
• Assists in managing third-party contracts with waste management, landscape, and maintenance companies.
• Collects overflow trash that the waste management company missed on the beach or roadways.
• Delivers trash bins to homeowners that need additional bins or swap out old trash bins with new trash bins.
• Operates machinery and vehicles such as lawnmowers, weed eaters, edgers, chainsaws, and other sharp blades.
• Oversees ground and facility maintenance of the municipal building and the complex.
• Implements research done for various small and capital projects, as assigned by the Public Works Manager.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Skilled in operating machinery needed for grounds keeping and landscaping. This will include riding lawn mowers, weed eaters, edgers, chainsaws, and other sharp blades, as well as potentially dangerous chemicals such as pesticides and herbicides.
• Skilled in operating computers and office software for the HVAC and data center.
• Ability to physically perform the tasks required of this classification.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks in a detailed and accurate manner.
• Ability to set clear objectives and timelines.
Educational and Experience Qualifications
Requires a High School Diploma or GED and four (4) years of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Licenses or Certifications:
A valid SC driver’s license, or ability to obtain by the start of employment.
Pay info: The starting salary for this position is $45,000 annually plus benefits.
How to apply: Applications are available here or at the municipal center located at 4475 Betsy Kerrison Parkway, Kiawah Island, South Carolina 29455. Please send a resume to email@example.com or mail to Attn: Brian Gottshalk 4475 Betsy Kerrison Parkway Kiawah Island South Carolina 29455. Only those candidates that are considered will be contacted for an interview.
Deadline: Friday, October 22, 2021
EOE Disclaimer Town of Kiawah Island is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Printable copy of the job posting here