March 13, 2020
Parkway Improvement Project Schedule Update
The Kiawah Island Parkway Improvement Project (phase 1) is in progress, and crews will continue to work from the roundabout at Freshfields to the main gate. As you may have noticed, some initial grading, milling, patching and paving have been completed.
As the project reaches completion, crews will repave the roadway project area with a final layer of asphalt which will allow for continuous cohesive pavement and longer roadway life. In addition, the pavement markings currently on the roadway are not the final markings.
Through May 20, anticipate intermittent traffic delays and evening single-lane closures from 7:30 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. Please allow extra time for travel. Traffic control will be present for the duration of the project, so please use caution as there could be abrupt stops in traffic. The bike path from the main gate to Freshfields remains open.
Since crews were delayed due to inclement weather, the schedule has been modified and is below*.
- March 10 – April 1 | No lane closures, intermittent traffic delays possible
- vegetation clearing, construction of a right turn lane into the field adjacent to Freshfields Village, storm drain maintenance
- April 2 – April 16 | Evening single-lane closure (7:30 p.m. – 6:00 a.m.) except for Easter weekend (April 10 – 12)
- shoulder stabilization, road construction
- April 17 – April 20 | Evening single-lane closure (7:30 p.m. – 6:00 a.m.)
- Second and final finishing layer of asphalt
- May 19 – May 20 | Evening single-lane closure (7:30 p.m. – 6:00 m.)
- pavement marking
*Since the material used for pavement preservation is weather and temperature dependent, the schedule is tentative. Adjustments to the schedule will be communicated as soon as possible.
Residents can expect to see the clearing of vegetation, roadway shoulder stabilization, construction of a right turn lane into the field adjacent to Freshfields Village, grading and milling of pavement, guardrail replacement, and large construction equipment along the Parkway.
Thank you in advance for your patience during this infrastructure project. For more information on the project, contact Brian Gottshalk at 843-768-5111 or at email@example.com.