November 04, 2021
Updates from November Town Council
The following is a summary of announcements from the November 2, 2021, Town Council meeting. Watch the meeting here.
FY 2020/2021 Audit Presentation
Town Council received the conclusions of the FY 2020/2021 Financial & Compliance Audit by Mauldin & Jenkins, who issued a clean opinion of the Towns financial standing and records which is the highest level of assurance an external auditor can provide. This audit evaluates the Town’s Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR), which goes above and beyond basic reporting requirements and is submitted annually to Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA). The Town has been awarded a Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting for its comprehensive financial report for the seventeenth consecutive year.
Contracts and Proposals
Town Council approved the following contract and bid proposals:
- A contract with Kucera International to conduct aerial photography, lidar detection, and elevation mapping of Kiawah Island. The project will yield a design-grade topographic map of the island and provide needed data to ensure that flooding and sea-level rise maps are accurate to aid in the Town’s resiliency planning. The total cost of the project is $84,900. Since this data will benefit the Town, KICA, and the Kiawah Conservancy, the total cost will be shared.
- A proposal from Artigues Landscape and Maintenance, LLC to maintain the Kiawah Island Parkway, Beachwalker Drive, and Municipal Center in the amount of $188,650 annually.
- A proposal from Artigues Landscape and Maintenance, LLC for the Municipal Center landscape installation project in the amount of $59,951.55. This project will mitigate safety hazards with current sight obstructions on the entry road and replaces dead and dying plant material throughout the landscaping footprint.
Town Council approved the first reading of the following Ordinances:
- Ordinance 2021-14 to amend Article 4 regarding Municipal Business Licenses to implement the SC Business License Tax Standardization Act passed by the General Assembly, which creates the same business license process for taxing jurisdictions across the state. Changes include standardized classes, codes, and license periods.
- Ordinance 2021-15 to amend Article 9 regarding Building Permits/Licenses, removing language regarding professional designers and contractors under investigation.
- Ordinance 2021-16 to amend Article 14 regarding Short-Term Rental Business Licenses, which changes the rental business license period from a calendar year to May 1 to April 30
Town Council discussed potential amendments to the Noise Ordinance. No action was taken.
Town Council entered into Executive Session to receive legal advice. No action was taken.