Sea Turtle Nest Inventories
Keep in mind the following when making plans to attend an inventory:
- ALL inventory dates and times are subject to change, primarily due to weather conditions. (lightning and/or heavy rains) Also, a change of status with the nest (a nest might need additional time before an inventory is performed.) Both are at the discretion of the hatching team. They do their best to keep on schedule but sometimes changes have to be made.
- Times listed are estimated. It is always best to arrive early.
- There is no street parking; vehicles will be ticketed and/or towed. It’s best to bike or walk to the inventory area! Click here for parking locations
- NO flash photography is permitted.
- Sea turtles are an endangered species and are protected under the Endangered Species Act by the U.S. Departments of Interior and Commerce. It is illegal to harm, or in any way interfere with, a sea turtle or its eggs.
- Turtles are disorientated by artificial light. May 15 thru October 31 all outdoor lighting facing seaward in beach front units must be turned off from 9 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- Use turtle safe flashlight filters over any flashlight that you bring to the beach at night. This includes your cell phone flashlight! You can pick up free flashlight filters at the Municipal Center (4478 Betsy Kerrison Pkwy) or at the Nature Center (4000 Sea Forest Dr). Courtesy of the Town of Kiawah.
- Kiawah has a Sand Hole/Metal Shovel Ordinance which prohibits digging large holes & metal shovels! Plastic shovels are allowed but can be no longer than 14” in length. This ordinance prohibits changing the contour of the beach by digging holes and being in possession of or using a metal shovel.
- Leave only footprints! Dispose of your trash in containers found at every beach access.
- If you see any adult sea turtles or hatchings call 843-768-9166 to report your sighting.
- Ordinances are enforced by Beach Patrol (843-518-2880) and/or Town Code Enforcement Officers (843-768-9166) who are authorized to ticket and fine offenders.